We have a funky little concrete pond in our side yard.
Over the years we’ve had goldfish in it from time to time, mostly just to eat the mosquito larvae that inevitably collect there.
And in recent years we’ve had icky algae issues, due to not enough oxygen/too much organic material.
So this spring we decided to clean it out and start fresh.
I’d emptied it a couple of weeks ago, and it seems like the neighborhood wild birds must have really missed having it as a water source and general hang-out.
We went to a local pond supply place (very nice folks at Mud Pond Koi) and they hooked us up with some submerged plants: Water Lilly and Mare’s Tail), a couple marginal plants for shelf areas (Creeping Jenny, and Houttunynia Cordata Variegata), and some floaters- Water Hyacinth.
We’ve also placed an aerator in there to keep things moving and oxygenated.
So we’re on our way to hopefully having a nice little ecosystem- just need to get some new fishes to populate it.
For now we just have yarn posing by the newly planted pond- this is Dottie aran-weight two ply, bouncy and fluffy.
Just like the girl herself 🙂