Just over 3 months ago I sheared the first of the boys.
So, I thought it was about time to talk about how the fleece processing is going!
Today, I just finished washing up the last of Franklin/Felix (they got jumbled together).
So now I’ve got a whole smorgasbord of homegrown Shetland fleece to work with!
And I’ve already got some of it spun up-
Of the five fleeces, Griff and Edgar are the best for drum carding. Good length, but not super long, not much veg.
Chone’s fluffy texture is good for drum carding, but he’s the veggie boy, so I’ll probably have to flick card or comb most of it first.
Frank and Felix are pretty darn long. The length is good for combing, but it separates out the longer fibers from the shorter ones , and I’d prefer to keep them all together for the most part, so I’ve been flick carding and spinning from the lock. I really like spinning that way.
Realized after I took the other yarn picture that I was missing a two ply skein of Felix that I spun early on-
Frank has already made an appearance in the (primarily) Huey Oregon vest-
But he’s the only guy who’s made his way into a project at this point.
I may need to use a little bit of Chone to finish off my current stashbuster sweater (I’m getting really close!)
He’s told me that he’s ready to pinch hit if I need him.
What a swell guy 🙂