Tag: argyle


I finished knitting argyle sock #1 on Friday,


and gave myself permission to swatch for The Green Sweater project


The swatch is in “Spot Stitch”, which is kind of a variation on seed stitch, and it looks like my gauge is pretty close, so I shouldn’t have to do any pattern modifying. That’s cool because I really want to just cast on and get started! I still have one more sock to finish up, so I got the heel underway today.


(I’m a one-project-at-a-time kind of knitter)

Not much other news, but the sheep and chickens say “hey”- everything seems pretty copacetic out in the shed right now. Esther is generally acknowledged to be in charge, and Dottie seems ok with that (as long as there are enough treats and scritches to go around). So glad they worked it out amongst themselves.

And I wanted to just throw in a note about the chickens- I’m really pleased that both girls who were wearing the little jackets have healed up and regrown their feathers! So no chickens in khakis anymore, and the jackets are washed up and standing by in case we need them again in the future.

Fresh Start with Clean Bobbins

I usually try to start the new year with clean bobbins- but I’m running a little late!

Thankfully, having MLK day off helped me to get back on track.
I managed to get two more skeins of Prefect Green plied and wound off,


and then plied the odds and ends left on my various bobbins to make another smallish mixed skein (not quite as random as some years, as I’ve been focusing mostly on the green of late).

But it’s nice to have all these bobbins standing by all primed for their next project!


Still not exactly sure what pattern I will be using for the Perfect Green project.
A while back, I think I had settled on Bronwyn, but now I’m not sure I want to do a full sweater.
I like the versatility of vests.

So I’m still officially looking around.

Tarte Tatin is lovely, but I think it might be more flattering to carry the cabling and traveling stitch patters all the way up the front rather than doing the chest area in stockinette.

But I really don’t want to have to redesign something. I just want to find a pattern I can cast on and get right into.
I really love Vika, but do I even have enough green to spin 1500 yds of this particular blend?

Geez. Perhaps there is such a thing as having too many options.

Anyway, I’m not ready to start knitting my greens yet. There is time to figure it all out.

And I have the argyle panels done for my socks, but haven’t been quite ready to settle in for a long session of weaving in ends, so they are “paused” right at the moment.


I am tempted to start an “in the meantime” project….


because I already have the pattern, and think that I have a suitable yarn hanging out in the stash.
Might be just the thing to satisfy these twitchy fingers.

We Interrupt this Wool Blog

for a short dalliance with some cotton fabric (and batting).

Some of my knitting friends kept singing the praises of these little “bowlie” things- to hold bowls full of hot soup, stew, etc.
And the pattern seemed pretty simple, so I thought I’d give it a go.
(I still have lots of cotton fabric on hand from my quilting phase- it’s hard to let go of that kind of stuff!)

So I went back to my fabric bin, and found some coordinating bits.


After cutting out the squares of fabric and batting, I got down to business with the sewing machine


They came together pretty quickly-


Sewing is so fast (compared to knitting)!



They should be really nice for the containers I take my lunch to work in


Yay! Let’s hear it for the long-dormant quilting fabric stash!

Ok, now back to our regular programming.

Argyle progress continues apace


And I’m getting a lot better at this right-handed knitting thing!
Kind of a nice tool to have in your back pocket when you aren’t in a purling kind of mood 🙂

Argyle Accomplished, Monkey Business Resumes

They are done.


And I love them. I think I would make another pair, now that I’ve got the hang of it, except for all the ends!
I’m going to think about it a while and see if I can dream up a way to reduce the amount of weaving in required.

I’ve gotten a bit of a start on Burr (yep, I’ve decided to just go for it), but it doesn’t look like much yet, and the black yarn is so hard to photograph, so we’ll revisit that later.

But in other news, I’ve found another use for fancy Griff curls-
Check out the ‘do on that monkey!


Yep. I’m back in monkey production mode. Once they are assembled and embroidered these guys will be going to a local non-profit that provides temporary housing to kids who are having to enter foster care.